Monday 17 October 2011

Did the Prophet speak with animals?

Q; Bro I need to know that did Muhammad SWS ever speak to animal ??????

A; All-Praise is due to Allah,

It was stated in a Fatwa in regards to your question as follows-

Q; Dear Sir, I want to ask about people who make hadith from themselves in order to attract people attention as big orator. A so called scholar was narrating a hadith in which the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) was talking with a lion and a deer. please guide me if such kind of hadiths do exists. Thanks


A; All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

It is not permissible to fabricate Ahaadeeth and attribute them to the Prophet because lying about him is lying about Allaah while Allaah Says (what means): {“Indeed, those who invent falsehood about Allaah will not succeed.”}[Quran 10:69] Also, there are Ahaadeeth in the Sunnah that clarify a severe threat in regard to those who lie about the Prophet who said: “Whoever deliberately tells lies about me, let him take his place in Hellfire.” [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] Besides, the Prophet said: “Whoever narrates a Hadeeth from me which is seen as a lie, then he is one of the liars.” [Muslim]

This is in general. As regards the Hadeeth that states that the Prophet spoke with a deer, then it was reported by At-Tabaraani in "Al-Mu’jam" and by Abu Nu’aym in "Dalaa’il An-Nubuwwah". Besides, Shaykh Al-Albaani said in (his book) "Silsilat Al-Ahaadeeth Adh-Dha’eefah" that it is very Dha’eef [weak]. Therefore, a Muslim should not narrate this Hadeeth except to clarify that it is a Dha’eef Hadeeth.

On the other hand, we have not come across a Hadeeth that states that the Prophet talked to a lion. What is well-Known in this regard is that Safeenah, the freed slave of the Prophet spoke with a lion, and it is an authentic story that was reported by Al-Haakim who classified it as Saheeh (sound), and Ath-Thahabi agreed with him about its classification as Saheeh.

However, there are authentic Ahaadeeth that indicate that the Prophet spoke with animals, trees, and stones and so forth, and all these are among his miracles. End of quote.

(See Islam Web Fatwa: 144539)

Narrated Abu Huraira (RadhiAllahu anhu): The Prophet (SAW) said, “While a man was riding a cow, it turned towards him and said, ‘I have not been created for this purpose (i.e. carrying), I have been created for sloughing.” The Prophet added, “I, Abu Bakr and ‘Umar believe in the story.” The Prophet went on, “A wolf caught a sheep, and when the shepherd chased it, the wolf said, ‘Who will be its guard on the day of wild beasts, when there will be no shepherd for it except me?’
“After narrating it, the Prophet said, “I, Abu Bakr and ‘Umar too believe it.” Abu Salama (a sub-narrator) said, “Abu Bakr and ‘Umar were not present then.” (It has been written that a wolf also spoke to one of the companions of the Prophet near Medina as narrated in Fatah-al-Bari: Narrated Unais bin ‘Amr: Ahban bin Aus said, “I was amongst my sheep. Suddenly a wolf caught a sheep and I shouted at it. The wolf sat on its tail and addressed me, saying, ‘Who will look after it (i.e. the sheep) when you will be busy and not able to look after it? Do you forbid me the provision which Allah has provided me?’ ” Ahban added, “I clapped my hands and said, ‘By Allah, I have never seen anything more curious and wonderful than this!’ On that the wolf said, ‘There is something (more curious) and wonderful than this; that is, Allah’s Apostle in those palm trees, inviting people to Allah (i.e. Islam).’ “Unais bin ‘Amr further said, “Then Ahban went to Allah’s Apostle and informed him what happened and embraced Islam.)” palm trees or other trees and share the fruits with me.”

[Al Bukhari, Book 39, Hadith 517]

Allah Knows best...

No comments: