Monday 7 May 2012

Washing braids whilst performing Ghusal.

Q;Asalamu aleikum akhi may i please know d ruling regarding awoman who plaited her hair n wanna do ghusl after intercorse or after periods should she undone d plaiting or just take ghusl dat way?..jazakaAllahu kheiran A;All-Praise is due to Allah, No you do not have to undo your braids whilst performing ghusal, but it is essential that the water soaks the entire braids enabling it to reach the roots of the hair. The evidence for this is the hadeeth of Um Salamah, who said: “I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, I am a woman who braids her hair, should I undo it to do ghusl after having intercourse?’ (According to another report, she said: ‘and after my period?’) He said, ‘No. It is enough for you to pour water on your head three times.’” (Reported by Muslim). Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said: It is not permissible for her to wash the outer part of the hair only; rather it is essential that the water reach the roots of the hair and the skin of the head (scalp). But if the hair is braided, she does not have to undo it; rather she has to make the water reach every single hair by placing the braid under the water spout and squeezing it so that the water reaches all of the hair. End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 11/163. And Allah knows best...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assalamo alaikom. Kindly state the steps on how to do the khul'(divorce of a woman to her husband). It's like I've been asking him a lot of times already (orally) but he won't grant me. I've consulted a number of learned sisters & they advice me to go on but I don't know how. Shukran...